TRIO Talent Search Summer Academy Instructor Positions (Mathematics & Language Arts, 2 positions)
Job TitleTRIO Talent Search Summer Academy Instructor Positions (Mathematics & Language Arts, 2 positions)
Notre Dameís TRiO Talent Search is a college access program that provides academic, career, and financial services and counseling to South Bend youth in grades seven through twelve-encouraging all students, especially those who are first generation college students to graduate from high school and continue on to and complete a postsecondary education program.
During the summer, TRiO Talent Search hosts a 3-week Summer Academy for rising 7th and 8th grade students. This program run from July 10 through the 28th. The Talent Search Summer Academy Math Instructor will teach an academic enrichment course in mathematics with an emphasis on process standards, number sense, computation, algebra and functions, geometry and measurement, and data analysis, statistics and probability. The Talent Search Summer Academy Language Arts Instructor will teach an academic enrichment course in language arts with an emphasis on reading comprehension and writing.
This position requires a highly motivated and passionate individual with a proven track record of student academic progress. Successful experience working with and positively responding to diverse student populations is also required. Instructors must also exhibit an ability to work collaboratively with other constituents including fellow instructors, teaching assistants, Talent Search staff and parents or guardians.
- Prepare students in subject areas they may be enrolled in during the upcoming academic year with a focus on learning content area as well as study skills that will help student succeed in their classes.
- Motivate students toward a post-secondary program and assist in building self-esteem and sense of genuine achievement.
- Develop curriculum and lesson plans for assigned class that reflects the current standards as specified by Indiana Academic Standards.
- Instruct and be available for one on one or group tutoring if requested.
- Provide or make arrangements for curriculum materials such as textbooks, readers, instructional aides or online resources for student participants.
- Become familiar with and follow Talent Search summer policies and procedures.
- Develop and administer pre and post testing to students at the beginning and end of the summer program for curriculum and program effectiveness and improvement. This data should be collected and presented to Program Coordinator upon completion of the Summer Academy in an easily understandable format.
- Prepare homework assignments.
- Prepare and submit missing homework assignment sheets.
- Prepare and submit attendance sheets on a weekly basis.
- Prepare and submit progress reports on each studentís performance on a weekly basis or as necessary.
- Provide the Talent Search Summer Academy Program Coordinator any pertinent records or information regarding any student in your class.
- Provide the necessary class coverage and lesson plans to the Program Coordinator and or Teaching Assistant in the event of your absence.
- Possess an understanding of the Talent Search programís overall goals and assist with a program of study that will promote success and generate confidence for students.
- Participate in mandatory training prior to the start of Summer Academy, date (TBA).
- Participate in a parent meeting prior to the start of the program.
- Assist with chaperoning students during enrichment activities.
- Proficiency in teaching students from backgrounds traditionally underrepresented in postsecondary education.
- Selected applicants will undergo a background check.
- Must be pursuing a degree in Education, and have completed at least two years
- Must have at least one year classroom experience with working with students in 6th grade or above
- Excellent Communication and Team Skills
- Strong Organizational Skills
- Must have a working knowledge of computers and their capabilities
- Ability to integrate technology in effective ways that enhance studentsí learning experiences
Bachelorís or Advanced degree in education, and or one of the following content areas (secondary mathematics, English, creative writing or humanities)
DepartmentTRIO Programs (28105)
Family / Sub-FamilyNo Eprism / Other_No Eprism
FLSA StatusT1 - Non-exempt Temp/On-call Hourly
Schedule: Days of Week & Hours
Must be available all weekdays of the 3 week summer program; July 10th Ė July 28th.
Monday Through Friday
Time: 9:00 am Ė 3:00 pm
Monday Through Friday
Time: 9:00 am Ė 3:00 pm
Schedule: Hours/Week25-30 Hours per Week
Job Posting Date (Campus)04/20/2023
Job Posting Date (Public)04/20/2023
Job Closing Date05/25/2023
Posting TypeOpen To All Applicants
Quick Link for Internal Postingshttps://jobs.nd.edu/postings/30500
*Please mention you saw this ad on MathematicalJobs.*
Mathematician Jobs in Popular Cities